Makes 8-10 Peppers
8-10 orange peppers
2 tbsp canola or olive oil
1 package ground turkey or extra lean ground beef (500g)
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
½ onion, chopped
100 g frozen chopped spinach
(8 nuggets) (1/2 cup)
2-3 cloves garlic
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp sage
2 cups cooked barley (just over ½ cup raw barley)
2 omega-3 eggs
1 litre tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1) Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add barley.
2) Bring water back to a boil, partially cover and simmer on low for 30-40 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
1) Brown ground turkey or beef in a large sauté or saucepan in 2 tbsp olive or canola oil. Drain off excess fat.
2) Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook for another 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3) Add frozen spinach and seasonings. Cook until spinach has softened.
4) Stir in cooked barley and remove from heat. Let cool.
5) Add 2 eggs and mix well.
1) Remove tops and seeds from peppers.
2) Mix tomato sauce and chicken stock in the bottom of a casserole dish
3) Fill each pepper with stuffing and add to the casserole dish.
4) Cover with foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for approximately 1 hour.
Note: This recipe will produce peppers with a firm texture. Alternatively, pre-cook peppers before stuffing.
Tip: Make extra stuffing and freeze. This will make for a quick, tasty supper.